November 15, 2009

The First Short Story

While researching the current fiction market, I've come across a bit of advise from a well known editor, Noah Lukeman. His piece on "How To Write A Great Query Letter" can be downloaded from Amazon.com for free and gives some great advise. One of the topics he covers is credentials. There are more than 5 recommendations when it comes to building your credentials for writing, but I'm focusing on just two of them for now.
The first I've already discussed in a previous post. Get a degree in writing. I'm not sure when I will have a chance to continue my education in writing, but it's on the list of things to accomplish in my life.
The second is take a shot at short stories. When I read this, I honestly thought it wasn't for me. The two novels I've worked on are no where near under 4,000 words and I have been too busy to concentrate on any other projects except the novels. I didn't think I could write anything that short. I know, most people are opposite on the subject, but for me, it's easier to write a novel for some reason.
However, I'm doing it anyway. It sounds dumb and maybe repetitive (because of The First Romantic Novel), but I had a dream last night of an interesting storyline. So I'm working on it. It'll be about 4,000 words since most of the markets are looking for that amount and after more research I'm going to submit it.
Wish me luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some chocolate while you're at it.