November 4, 2010

Keeping It Cool

Revisions are grueling and I know many of you can relate. I feel as if I'm rewriting the entire thing, but I can definitely tell you that my MS is getting better and better!

Since this MS, I've written two others and all writers know, the more you write, the better your craft. I've learned a lot since finishing ALL BECAUSE YOU and am happy to incorporate that new knowledge into the revised MS. A short list of items include using backstory through dialogue and cutting down POV's (I had a problem with this, having over six points of view in this MS - now down to just protagonists and antagonist). I've also spiffied (not a word) up my first page and the first chapter to hopefully catch the reader's attention. No major plot revisions so far. Thank heavens. But I have a feeling they're coming!

What is your best advice/knowledge you would like to pass on to novice writers?

4 comments:

  1. I just want to petition for "spiffied" to become an official word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats with your editing. It's great you can SEE the improvements. My advice: keep at it. :)

    'spiffied' is not an official word???? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Hugs* I know. You and I should have a grueling editing party. That's where I'm at, too. Ugh...
    But onward and upward. (We should insert at least ONE day a week for FREE writing!!! right?)

    ~Elizabeth :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to know there's more than one person out there who is doing revisions and preparing more than one project. I think the best part about it is that when I feel like I'm going to be sick to death of one, I can set it aside.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some chocolate while you're at it.