April 26, 2011

Pure and Utter Crap

That's how I would describe the book I'm revising right now. Crap. I'm literally having to rewrite the entire book. I think every writer goes through this, but throw in two more rejections for a novel out to query, and what do you have? A very bad day.



In the end I know it will be for the best, that the book will be SO much better when I'm done, but for now, I'm taking a break from writing on some very good advice from a friend (Thanks, Meg). Over the next couple of weeks I am focusing on school and my loved ones. I'm sure my brain won't be shutting off about the book. I'll make notes, but I will not open that document, I will not pull myself down again.

So thank you to those that have offered kind words of advice. You're all right: I can't do everything at once and so begins the recharging!

No worries, I'll still be posting :)

4 comments:

  1. Be glad that you're a good enough writer that you recognize your book is not as good as it could be. There are a lot of writers out there who are clueless about that sort of thing.

    Enjoy your down time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're taking this break for yourself. I learned the hard way that I needed to do the same thing and my new version of the first book feels so much more authentic. Have a great break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Baby steps are difficult to take when you want to be there already, huh?! So sorry. I think the hardest thing for me with revision is this nagging little voice in the back of my head that says I'm revising it the wrong way, that I don't know enough to fix it--am just making it worse. Crazy, but if I'm honest, that's what I think when I'm rewriting/revising.

    Good luck--we're here in the same canoe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vicki - I am very glad for this burden :) It just makes life harder though. I know if the future I won't have this much to fix because of what I've learned.

    Saumya - I took an entire month off in February and I thought it would be good enough. I guess when your mind doesn't want to work anymore, you just got to step back and let it heal!

    Jackee - I have that voice too! Good luck on your revisions as well.

    ReplyDelete

Leave some chocolate while you're at it.