May 29, 2011

The Treadmill Desk

The Romance Writers Report from RWA has great articles this year about becoming a "Well Writer". Not only are you encouraged and given advice on craft, but spirituality, eating, health, and exercise are all important to us writers who sit at a desk all day to work on our WIPs. We're snacking as we write, drinking soda as we plot, and not getting out of that chair for a few hours at a time.

Is there a solution?

I'm glad you asked! Meet "The Treadmill Desk"!


Writer's Butt solved. If you have a treadmill, you can make it into a desk. There are many more advanced desks than this, but for me, the simpler, the better. Why not lose pounds while you pound out those pages? Just by walking, you're increasing your activity level and burning those dreaded calories. Weight loss may ensue. Check out the table below to see how many calories you could be losing by just walking 2 miles an hour while working on that WIP.



 Even if you're not out to lose weight, sitting in a chair all day is not good for posture. Your hips, spine and shoulders will be effected, causing pain throughout the day and an increased chance of heart attack (Masters 1).

I'm a very active person in my opinion. I run three to four times a week, but because of work, school and taking that time to exercise, my writing is suffering. I don't have a treadmill, but now that it's getting hot down here in Hell and I'm spending 75% of the day doing homework, I'm looking for one. Can you guess what new addition I'll be adding to it?

What do you think of this idea? Are you or would you ever be willing to give it a chance? How many hours a day are you sitting in that chair?

Citation: Masters, Maria. "Why Your Desk Job is Slowly Killing You." Men's Health (2010). Web. 29 May 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some chocolate while you're at it.